April 22nd, 2017
10:00 AM Gänseliesel
Begin of march: 11:00 AM
On 22 April 2017 researchers are taking to the streets to speak up for a free, open and independent science. The science march will take place in Göttingen along with over 400 other cities worldwide, 14 in Germany. We will gather at 11 am at the Gänseliesel and walk down the Weender Straße to the Auditorium to listen to speeches of invited guests. We hope many of you will join us!
In order to celebrate science, we invite you to take part to discuss what science can offer and to educate the public about science. One hour before the march at 10 am, volunteering scientists meet at the Gänseliesel to informally discuss scientific topics with the general public. We are looking for volunteers and scientists who like to talk about their work and science in general. Communication would be preferably in German but non-German speakers will have lots of opportunities as well.
What could your participation look like? You can be as creative as you like, but here are a few suggestions you could do during the march and/or for the pre-event:
- Make a sign or shirt saying: “Ich bin xyz-Wissenschaftler, frag mich alles“ (I’m a xyz-scientist, ask me anything)
- Talk to people walking by if they are interested in science or a specific topic of your choice
- Dress-up as your favorite scientist
- Dress-up as your favorite science theory/effect
- Bring the PhD-cart of your lab and decorate it
- Bring (old) science posters, to show how communication among scientists looks like
- Participate in our sign-making event (will happen a few days before the march)
- Bring little experiments, to show science
- Be creative
Please write us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are curious and please let us know if you like to participate. If you have any questions, you can also contact us on social media. We would really appreciate your support and your contribution.
Please spread the word!
PDF download: Call for Explainers